Here you will find the Pre-Purchase Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for Aeroqual’s AQS Mini Air Quality Station.
1. What is the difference between an AQS Air Quality Station and Dust Sentry?
The main difference is that the Dust Sentry measures dust and particulate matter (PM), while the AQS can measure particulate matter and up to three gases at the same time. Both are designed for continuous real-time measurement of ambient air. See below table for further details:
|Product/Feature||AQS 1||Dust Sentry|
|Particulate matter (TSP, PM10, PM2.5, PM1)||✔||✔|
|Gases: Ozone, Nitrogen dioxide, VOCs||✔||No|
|Meteorological (temp, humidity, rain, pressure, wind speed / direction, solar radiation)||✔||✔|
2. What does AQS measure?
The AQS can measure particulate matter (PM) and up to three gases at the same time. You can choose from the following parameters:
- Particulate matter (TSP, PM10, PM2.5, PM1)
- Gases: ozone, nitrogen dioxide, VOCs
- Meteorological (temperature, humidity, rain, pressure, wind speed/direction, solar radiation)
3. Can I have other gases other than what the product specifies?
No, the AQS only measures ozone, nitrogen dioxide and VOCs.
4. Can it measure PM10 and PM2.5 simultaneously?
Yes, the system can be configured with an Optical Particle Counter (Profiler). The Profiler can measure PM1, PM2.5, PM10, and total PM simultaneously.
5. Are the gas detection levels suited for indoor measurement?
Yes. However, please note that noise is generated by the equipment when it is operating.
6. Is it easy to install and maintain?
The AQS can be used almost anywhere – on roofs and lamp posts, by a busy street or an offshore oil rig, in cold and hot climates, on or off-grid. The unit weighs about 12kg so installation is easy; you can get set up or re-locate in under 10 minutes.
This is a low maintenance air quality station and the skills required for operation is relatively low. Here’s an example of scheduled maintenance for a typical AQS system.
7. How do we calibrate an AQS?
There are three types of calibration of the gas module:
- Factory calibration pre-shipment is standard on all our instruments.
- Field calibration. Typically, only advanced users will need to field calibrate their AQS. All other users can depend upon 12 monthly factory calibration of the gas module.
- Factory calibration post-shipment.
All Aeroqual PM engines need to be returned to the Met One Instruments factory in the U.S for service and calibration at the following recommended intervals:
- AQS Particle Monitor: 24 Months
- AQS Particle Profiler: 12 Months
Aeroqual can arrange for this service. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further details
8. What is the dimension and weight of an AQS monitor?
483 H x 330 W x 187 D mm (19 H x 13 W x 7.4 D inches) includes solar shield armour and mounting brackets and it weighs <13 kg (28.6 lbs).
9. Is the AQS a temperature-controlled enclosure?
No. However, the enclosure is a lockable IP65 rated, glass-reinforced plastic (GRP) cabinet with integrated aluminium solar shield armour.
10. What is the environmental operating range?
The AQS is designed to operate in environments from -10 °C to +45 °C (14 °F to 113 °F)
11. Can it be solar or battery powered?
Yes. To read more, see this technical note on How to remote/solar power the Dust Monitor.
12. Can we integrate a third-party weather station in the AQS?
Yes, a power and data interface for designated third party sensors is included.
Here is a list of the environmental sensors that integrate with the AQS system:
- Gill WindSonic (ultrasonic wind sensor)
- Vaisala WXT536 (weather transmitter)
- Met One MSO (weather transmitter)
- Cirrus MK427 Class 1 (noise sensor)
- Novalynx Pyranometer (solar radiation)
For more details click on the Accessories tab on the AQS product page.
13. What communication options are there for access to the instrument?
- Standard: WIFI
- Ethernet (LAN)
- Optional: Cellular IP HSPA 3G modem
14. Are all the gas module calibrated to NIST standards?
Yes. The AQS is delivered with a NIST-traceable factory calibration.
15. Can the AQS measure BTEX?
No. For BTEX see our Real-Time BTEX / Benzene Monitor.
16. What are the available outputs?
- 2 x Relay (optional)
- 4 x 4-20 mA (optional)